Friday, April 23, 2010

The little things in the right direction

out the
I don't know about the rest of you but I find all the talk about being good to the environment, eating organic, leaving small foot prints, etc etc. daunting. Overwhelming in fact and when I feel that way it tends to make me throw up my hands and think "what can I possibly do". Then I watched Food Inc (highly reccomend) , watched Jamie Oliver's Fowl Dinners (about eating free range chickens), and started reading up on organic whole foods as well as other ways to be more enviromentally friendly etc.
I decided this, small steps in the right direction are better then none. I set out when P got his new job, to buy more enviromentally contious products b/c we could now afford to.
Truth be told though, we STILL can't afford to be eating organic meat and dairy all the time. Its just not in the budget for us to do so, as much as I would love to. So again, I felt overwhelmed, new job , more money but still unable to to particpate in the way I would like to.

Well... fine but I said small steps in the right direction not giant leaps. So here are my small steps, that I vow to take.

1. we buy two dozen eggs per grocery order, one dozen of those will be the free run $5 a carton eggs, the other our normal eggs $1.98 a dozen.
2. I vow to make at least 3 vegetarian meals a week. There is no reason to have meat 7 days a week, and eating less meat is much better for the meat industry.
3. I vow to buy one organic meat product per week.
4. Our grocery order is done in a hybrid van (at least that is my understanding, I will confirm the next time her comes), and uses boxes (we swap them out each order), and very very few bags (meat is wrapped in a small plastic bag sometimes). I vow to keep using them for the majority of my shopping, and to not use cabs from the cheaper grocery stores.
5. keep using reusable bags for when I do walk to the grocery or market for fresh produce.
6. Spend more time and money shopping locally at fresh markets , st jacobs is right around the corner so there is no excuse not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment